Glen McPeak of Data Masons discusses how his firm and his clients have navigated the transition from AX
A podcast series about the journey from Microsoft Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations (D365FO) wouldn't be complete without examining the role that ISVs play. After all, the role of add-on solutions presents one of the key decision points in planning an upgrade or migration path from AX, whether it is an older version or the most recent build of AX 2012 R3.
On this episode of the AX to D365FO Journeys podcast series, we talk with Glenn McPeak, CEO of Data Masons, an EDI solution vendor with deep roots in the Dynamics AX space and ample experience with D365FO customers. Glenn is an ERP and supply chain veteran, and he shares his perspective on how D365FO compares to past ERP upgrade cycles and the key differences against which he is managing his firm. He talks with us about some of the ways that Data Masons, their partners, and their customers have been adapting to Microsoft's cloud-first approach, from both the technical and channel perspectives.
- For more on the Data Masons perspective on AX to D365 upgrades and the role of EDI, check out the team's upcoming webcast on the topic.
- 5:00 – Why so much thinking is going into the D365FO journey and why ISVs are relevant
- 9:45 – Why the external ISV model is gaining popularity, as opposed to embedded.
- 13:30 – What role does Data Masons play alongside the D365FO partner on an engagement?
- 15:00 – What is the state of the integration framework today?
- 18:00 – Can customers and their partners manage safely around Microsoft's update policies?
- 20:00 – What are the tools that ISVs should be using to make the transition?
- 22:45 – What it means to be a part of a customer's go live in the context of Microsoft's FastTrack
- 25:45 – Is there a role for EDI in upgrades beyond the final state solution?
- 30:00 – Why are some companies choosing or feeling forced to wait on AX 2012 R3 or an earlier version? And why others feel the move to D365FO is the right choice.
- 35:30 – Is the D365FO a total departure from previous versions of AX?
- 38:30 – What will the new co-sell and co-market programs mean for ISVs?
- 41:30 – What is the mix of D365FO implementations between new customers and upgrade/migrations, and how is it changing?